Sunday, April 1, 2012

Verse of the Day 4/1

John 10:14-15 (ESV)  I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15  just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Today is Palm Sunday and we woke up to a bright clear and sunny morning.  Spring is in the year and it is easy to be cheerful and look forward to a bright day.  Today we celebrate Jesus' entry into Jerusalem to the crowds crying out "Hosanna".  It must have been a bright day that day as well.
 
Today's verses remind us that Jesus didn't come for that celebration so much as He came for what He was to accomplish for us a week later at Calvary.  He came to lay down His life for us as the good shepherd who would lay down His life for his sheep.  His perfect life for ours.
 
We've probably heard about sins of commission and omission.  The first is committing, doing something that breaks a law or goes against something we know would be wrong in God's sight.  The other is omission, not doing something that we know that we should, or rather have to do to carry out God's plan in our lives.  Jesus knew how fickle we and the crowds can be.   Some of the same people that were crying out hosanna would a week later be calling for His crucifixion.  We are able to celebrate Easter next week because of Jesus being the sinless one who died in our place.  He didn't cave in to the calls that he not go through with the plan but willingly submitted to the Father and took upon Himself the burdens of us all on the cross.
 
Its the reason we look towards a brighter day that will last for eternity.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

John 10:14-18 English Standard Version (ESV)

14  I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15  just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17  For this reason the Father loves me,because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father."

No comments: