Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Verse of the Day 5/15

John 6:67-68 (NLT) Then Jesus turned to the Twelve and asked, "Are you also going to leave?"
68 Simon Peter replied, "Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life.

This morning in my Bible reading I happened to come across and read two different passages that have helped me through the darkest hours of my life.  I distinctly remember today's verses coming to mind on a literal bend in the road at a time when our family was overwhelmed with the gravity of the situation.  It was at that time that the Lord spoke to me through His Word in these verses and Peter's reply here was my reply to His question.
 
Sometimes it takes those major things, life's deep valley's spoken of in Psalm 23, to bring us to the realization that our only hope is in Him.
 
Psalm 23:1-4 (ESV) The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

 

Psalm 23 gives us a glimpse of how and why we can make those declarations like Peter did.  He can provide what we need in and to get us through those hours no matter how long they may  last.  He has the power to restore, refresh, renew our soul, our faith, our hope.

 

The words to the song "For Those Tears I died" came to mind.

 

You said You'd come and share all my sorrows,
You said You'd be there for all my tomorrows;
I came so close to sending You away,
But just like You promised You came there to stay;
I just had to pray!

And Jesus said, "Come to the water, stand by My side,
I know you are thirsty, you won't be denied;
I felt ev'ry teardrop when in darkness you cried,
And I strove to remind you that for those tears I died."

 

Jesus calls us out of the troubled waters and can lead us to the still waters where we can be refreshed, renewed.

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

John 6:66-69 (ESV)

66  After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. 67 So Jesus said to the Twelve, "Do you want to go away as well?" 68 Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God."

No comments: