Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Verse of the Day 5/23

Leviticus 20:7-8 (NLT) So set yourselves apart to be holy, for I am the Lord your God. Keep all my decrees by putting them into practice, for I am the Lord who makes you holy.

Today's verses come from the often avoided and neglected book of Leviticus.   Some of the subject matter doesn't seem relevant to today, like all the regulations dealing with leprosy, while others dealing with issues of immoratlity seem too controversial.  These verses, and all of God's Word are relevant today for those whom God has called to be "set apart", consecrated, and dedicated to serving God.  This will show in our actions as we put God's Word and Jesus' life and teachings into practice.

 

Yesterday, I was reading in John chapter 8 where Jesus teaches about the importance of "hearing" and "keeping" God's Word.

 

John 8:47 (ESV) Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God."

 

  It is those who listen to God through His Word and keep it that are His disciples.  They, like Abraham in the Old Testament, live lives of faith looking forward to His coming. 

 

John 8:47 (NLT)Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God. But you don't listen because you don't belong to God."

 

Will you listen and believe (which involves putting into practice) the Voice of Truth?

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

John 8:51-56 English Standard Version (ESV)

51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death." 52 The Jews said to him, "Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, 'If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.' 53  Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?" 54 Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, 'He is our God.'55 But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. 56  Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad."

No comments: