Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Verse of the Day 5/2

Psalm 39:4 (AMP) Lord, make me to know my end and [to appreciate] the measure of my days--what it is; let me know and realize how frail I am [how transient is my stay here]. 

When I read this verse, this psalm this morning I was reminded of Ebenezer Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, and the dream that he had that awakened him to the realization of how empty his life was, how fleeting it is, and how he should live his life in light of that dream.

 

The psalm has the heading "What is the measure of my days"?  Many of us may not want to know, may not want to ask that question.  Why, perhaps they are too caught up in themselves, their minds are "set" on other things, largely the desire to acquire

 

As Christians we don't need a dream to wake us, God's Word can awaken us from spiritual slumber.  It will point out the things that are missing.  It will point us in the right direction.  It will rebuke, challenge and stir our hearts to live according to God's purposes, realizing how frail, fleeting, and transient our stay here is and to make the most of it for His honor and glory.

 

Like Scrooges dream, God's Word will reveal what is in our hearts, and (taking a line from the 4Him song) "what's in the heart defines the measure of a man."

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 39:1-4(ESV) What Is the Measure of My Days?

39 I said, "I will guard my ways,
    that I may not sin with my tongue;
I will guard my mouth with a muzzle,
    so long as the wicked are in my presence."
I was mute and silent;
    I held my peace to no avail,
and my distress grew worse.
    My heart became hot within me.
As I mused, the fire burned;
    then I spoke with my tongue:

"O Lord, make me know my end
    and what is the measure of my days;
    let me know how fleeting I am!

No comments: