Monday, May 28, 2012

Verse of the Day 5/28

Lamentations 3:24 (AMP) The Lord is my portion or share, says my living being (my inner self); therefore will I hope in Him and wait expectantly for Him.
 
The book of Lamentations was written by Jeremiah, "the weeping prophet" and as the name implies it is a lament.  Great care, thought and detail went into this fairly short book.  Each of the first four chapters are an acrostic where the verses are written in order of the Hebrew alphabet.  In chapter 3, each letter starts off 3 verses.  Today's verse comes from the center of the book and bring us to the height of Jeremiah's writing.  In the midst of his lament he looks to the Lord's great faithfulness, His deliverance of the past as hope, certain hope for the future.
 
In this day and age we hear a lot of talk about "sustainability".  These verses point out the Christian's greatest renewable, endless resource, God's mercy, faithfulness, and lovingkindness in all stages and situations in life.  They allow the prophet to "wait expectantly" for Him in the middle of a time of lament.  It involves looking back to those who have gone before us in this country and in our faith, who gave themselves, gave their lives for the hope of future generations.
 
Yesterday I listened to "Freedom's Never Free" by Philipps, Craig and Dean.  I thought I 'd share the words with you on this Memorial Day to remember those who have gone before, and the One who gave His life that we might have eternal life.
 
Standing on a hillside
Where the river meets the sea
White crosses without number
Line the fields of peace

And each one a silent witness
Staring back at me
Every cross a story
Of another place in time
Where young men thought it worthy
To give their life for mine
And for the sake of honor
Left their dreams behind

And for the price they paid
I'm forever in their debt
Their memory will not die
'Cause I will not forget

I will stand and hold my head up high
I will dedicate my life
To the glory of the ones who had to die
I will live, live what I believe
If for no one else but me
I will remember
That freedom's never free

It was on another hillside
Outside the city gates
The battle lines were drawn
As soldiers took their place

The Father watched in silence
As a cross was raised
With freedom drawing closer
He took His final breath
He drank our cup of guilt
And took the sting from death

Heaven's Finest Soldier
clothed in human flesh
And for the price He paid
I'm forever in His debt
The cross will never die
'Cause I will not forget

I will stand and hold my head up high
I will dedicate my life
To the glory of the One who had to die
I will live, live what I believe
If for no one else but me
To remember that
Freedom's Never Free
 
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Lamentations 3:22-24

Amplified Bible (AMP)

22 It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not.

23 They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness.

24 The Lord is my portion or share, says my living being (my inner self); therefore will I hope in Him and wait expectantly for Him.

No comments: