Thursday, October 11, 2012

Verse of the Day 10/11

Psalm 119:105   Your word is a lamp for my feet,
    a light on my path.

 I ended yesterday's devotional by quoting Psalm 119:11 about having God's Word stored or hidden in our hearts.  Today's verse from Psalm 119 shed some light upon what His Word does for us.
 
I was out of town last night and the only available outlet to charge my phone in the hotel room was in the bathroom.  I usually use my phone as a light, keep it at the side of the bed to be able to pick it up and see in the dark, to light the path to the bathroom.  When the alarm went off on my phone I got up in the dark and stumbled over my briefcase which was on the floor at the foot of the bed.  I stumbled because the light wasn't with me.
 
So it is in our lives.  We are accustomed to walking on smooth sidewalks and streets where we can walk fairly easily and confidently without stumbling.  Now, think about walking or perhaps running in the woods in the dark.  Without a light you'd easily trip and stumble over a root or rock in the path.  God's Word serves as a lamp for our feet shining down guiding us in the here and now, for the next step that is to be taken.  It also serves as a light for the path ahead, helping us to see and identify objects in our path that would cause us to stumble and fall, giving us the opportunity to change our course and avoid the pain of stubbing our toe (as I did this morning) or having a complete wipe out.
 
Let His Word be a lamp to our feet and a light for our path as we carry it with us in our hearts and minds every day.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 119:105-112  New International Version (NIV)

105 Your word is a lamp for my feet,
    a light on my path.
106 I have taken an oath and confirmed it,
    that I will follow your righteous laws.
107 I have suffered much;
    preserve my life, Lord, according to your word.
108 Accept, Lord, the willing praise of my mouth,
    and teach me your laws.
109 Though I constantly take my life in my hands,
    I will not forget your law.
110 The wicked have set a snare for me,
    but I have not strayed from your precepts.
111 Your statutes are my heritage forever;
    they are the joy of my heart.
112 My heart is set on keeping your decrees
    to the very end

No comments: