Sunday, October 28, 2012

Verse of the Day 10/28

Psalm 119:35-36  Lead me in the path of your commandments,
    for I delight in it.
36 Incline my heart to your testimonies,
    and not to selfish gain!  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
In yesterday's passage in Hebrews 10 we considered how our hearts and minds should be "engaged" as we go to worship, or when we fellowship with other believers to study and learn from His Word.
 
In today's passage from Psalm 119, the author, possibly David, puts his heart on display as he seeks God's guidance and reveals his delight in God's Word working in his life.  His heart is engaged to hear of His testimonies, to make those things his focus and not the desire for "selfish gain", greed, the desire for more "stuff" in this world.
 
It should be a lesson for us as we go to worship today and to take with us into the workweek.  Read the passage, 8 verses below.  The psalmist calls for God to teach him, give him understanding, to lead him along the path, to "incline" or turn his heart towards God, to turn his eyes from "worthless things, and to confirm His promises for his life.  May we have the same attitude today and engage our hearts as we head into the coming week.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Psalm 119:33-40   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
33 Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes;
    and I will keep it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
    and observe it with my whole heart.
35 Lead me in the path of your commandments,
    for I delight in it.
36 Incline my heart to your testimonies,
    and not to selfish gain!

37 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
    and give me life in your ways.
38 Confirm to your servant your promise,
    that you may be feared.
39 Turn away the reproach that I dread,
    for your rules are good.
40 Behold, I long for your precepts;
    in your righteousness give me life!

No comments: