Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Verse of the Day 10/30

Verse of the Day 10/30
 
Matthew 11:28-29   "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.   The Message (MSG)

 

Yesterday we considered our salvation, it is here in the person of Jesus Christ.  We've also been considering what it means, what it looks like to have our hearts and minds "engaged".  Today's passage is a familiar one where Jesus calls those who are weary and heavy laden and offers them rest in Him.

 

In his message "The Dangerous Life" last Sunday, Pastor Bob quoted the passage from The Message as I've posted it above.  Take a look at how it brings out how Jesus calls us.  He calls our "come to me", get away with me, walk with me, work with me,watch how I do it, and learn from me."  What a succinct way to describe what it truly means to follow Jesus.  It is what having our hearts and minds "engaged" is truly about.

 

If you've been "burned out on religion" chances are that you've been doing it on your own, in your own way, your own power and according to your own will.  Yeah, that would describe me.  May we be willing to live what some would call "the dangerous life" of watching how He does it and find rest in Him along the way.

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Matthew 11:28-30  New International Version (NIV)

28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

No comments: