Saturday, October 13, 2012

Verse of the Day 10/13

Jeremiah 1:7 The Lord replied, "Don't say, 'I'm too young,' for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you.  New Living Translation (NLT)
 
Have you ever asked someone to do something or perhaps asked you to do something and you responded as Jeremiah did to God "I'm too young" to do something?
 
In a recent blog, Pastor Ray Ortlund wrote, "Every one of us has a counter-argument to the call of God.  "No, Lord.  I am only a _________."      ..... You don't define yourself.  God does.  And he never has a trivial thought.  He's not capable of it."    Think of that, you don't define yourself, God does.  When he asks us to do something, He knows very well who we are and what we're capable of.  We may be tempted to say "I'm too old, not a Bible scholar, or I'm a single parent, or I travel too much or any number of excuses, but God doesn't want to hear it.
 
This was a pivotal point in Jeremiah's life, it set him on the right path, following God, letting His light shine before Him, ministering to God's people and serving under several kings, several administrations but not backing down from his calling no matter the consequences.
 
For the past several years I've been blessed to be able to work with a group of kids in our church.  I started with these guys when they were 7th graders and my friend Jim has been working with them a year longer.  Jim, Ryan and I have seen them grow and take some steps in their faith.  May we be able to encourage them that they are not "too young", and if they here or feel God's call, His promptings may they respond "I'll go wherever you send me".
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Jeremiah 1:4-10  New Living Translation (NLT)
Jeremiah's Call and First Visions
 
4 The Lord gave me this message:
 
5 "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb.
    Before you were born I set you apart
    and appointed you as my prophet to the nations."
6 "O Sovereign Lord," I said, "I can't speak for you! I'm too young!"
 
7 The Lord replied, "Don't say, 'I'm too young,' for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. 8 And don't be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!" 9 Then the Lord reached out and touched my mouth and said,
 
"Look, I have put my words in your mouth!
10 Today I appoint you to stand up
    against nations and kingdoms.
Some you must uproot and tear down,
    destroy and overthrow.
Others you must build up
    and plant."

No comments: