Sunday, November 11, 2012

Verse of the Day 11/11

Psalm 5:3  At daybreak, Lord, You hear my voice;
at daybreak I plead my case to You and watch expectantly.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
How you start your day, your first thoughts and first actions can have a big impact on the rest of the day, perhaps the rest of your life.  David gives us many examples of his devotional life and it starts with prayer offered to His God.  He knows that God has heard and will hear his voice.  Then he "watches expectantly" for how God will answer those prayers.
 
Psalm writers, song writers, and those with a song in their heart set their focus on the God of their salvation to start the day.   Even though his heart is groaning within him, David's vision is focused forward and upward.  As I read this verse this morning I recalled the hymn "Open My Eyes, That I May See".
 
Open my eyes, that I may see
 glimpses of truth thou hast for me;
 place in my hands the wonderful key
 that shall unclasp and set me free.
 Silently now I wait for thee,
 ready, my God, thy will to see.
 Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine!
 
Open my ears, that I may hear
 voices of truth thou sendest clear;
 and while the wavenotes fall on my ear,
 everything false will disappear.
 Silently now I wait for thee,
 ready, my God, thy will to see.
 Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine!
 
Open my mouth, and let me bear
 gladly the warm truth everywhere;
 open my heart and let me prepare
 love with thy children thus to share.
 Silently now I wait for thee,
 ready, my God, thy will to see.
 Open my heart, illumine me, Spirit divine!

May this be the attitude of our hearts towards God to start the day every day of the week.  The may we "watch expectantly" to see what He will accomplish.
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Psalm 5:1-7  English Standard Version (ESV)
Lead Me in Your Righteousness
 
1 Give ear to my words, O Lord;
    consider my groaning.
2 Give attention to the sound of my cry,
    my King and my God,
    for to you do I pray.
3 O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
    in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch
.
4 For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
    evil may not dwell with you.
5 The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;
    you hate all evildoers.
6 You destroy those who speak lies;
    the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.
7 But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
    will enter your house.
I will bow down toward your holy temple
    in the fear of you.

No comments: