Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Verse of the Day 11/27

Psalm 132:3-5  "I will not enter my house
    or get into my bed,
I will not give sleep to my eyes
    or slumber to my eyelids,
until I find a place for the Lord,
    a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob.   English Standard Version (ESV)

I seldom use three verses as my "verse of the day", but in reading these verses from Psalm 132 I felt that I couldn't break them up.  The psalm involves David and his desire to find a resting place for the ark of God in 2 Samuel 6.  His intentions may have been good but things went badly as David and the people got ahead of themselves and ahead of God, disregarding some of His orders with dire consequences.

 

How many of us can relate, looking back at times when we got ahead of things, thought we would decide things on our own about God and His desires?

 

Oh that it were for me, that it would be for us that we would not go home, go to bed, go to sleep without making sure that our hearts are a dwelling place for the Lord, the Mighty One.  We'd probably sleep sounder and wake up fresher if it were the case.

 

After a fretful night, really over nothing, I needed to read these words this morning.  May I go to bed tonight with these verses in my mind and His presence in my heart, finding rest in Him. 

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at wwwmikesvotd.blogspot.com

 

Psalm 132:1-5  English Standard Version (ESV)

The Lord Has Chosen Zion

A Song of Ascents.

132 Remember, O Lord, in David's favor,
    all the hardships he endured,
how he swore to the Lord
    and vowed to the Mighty One of Jacob,
"I will not enter my house
    or get into my bed,
I will not give sleep to my eyes
    or slumber to my eyelids,
until I find a place for the Lord,
    a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob."

No comments: