Thursday, November 8, 2012

Verse of the Day 11/8

Psalm 49:15  But God will redeem me from the power of Sheol (the place of the dead); for He will receive me. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!   Amplified Bible (AMP)

While in Boston the other day, my wife Jean and I walked through a couple of graveyards where many of the famous people from the revolutionary period are buried (such as Paul Revere and John Hancock).  Is is remarkable to think that we visited some of the buildings where important historical events occurred and stood where many of the founding fathers are buried beneath their markers.
 
While here, I also read Psalm 49 where I read:
10 For he sees that even the wise die;
    the fool and the stupid alike must perish
    and leave their wealth to others.
11 Their graves are their homes forever,
    their dwelling places to all generations,
You can still visit Paul Revere's grave and even his home, but like everyone else he had to leave everything here to others.
 
As Christians, we are thankful that though we too will die, our souls will find another resting place because we have been redeemed.  No matter what troubles us, let us pause and think calmly of that.
 

My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.

Refrain

I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.


 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 

Psalm 49:10-15  New Living Translation (NLT)

10 Those who are wise must finally die,
    just like the foolish and senseless,
    leaving all their wealth behind.
11 The grave is their eternal home,
    where they will stay forever.
They may name their estates after themselves,
12     but their fame will not last.
    They will die, just like animals.
13 This is the fate of fools,
    though they are remembered as being wise.[a] Interlude

14 Like sheep, they are led to the grave,[b]
    where death will be their shepherd.
In the morning the godly will rule over them.
    Their bodies will rot in the grave,
    far from their grand estates.
15 But as for me, God will redeem my life.
    He will snatch me from the power of the grave. Interlude

No comments: