Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Verse of the Day 11/21

 
1 Peter 1:6-7  In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,   New King James Version (NKJV)
 
The read through the Bible plan that I'm following brought me to James 5 for yesterday's verse and to 1 Peter 1 for today's verse.  Peter picks up the baton, carries the torch of persevering with endurance through trials seeing that the result is a revealing of genuine faith that proves to be more precious than gold.
 
Our convictions are often formed in the crucible.  The testing reveals the authenticity.  I've heard it said that "my convictions define who I am".    In a recent devotional, Pastor Jared Cox writes,  "Convictions are formed when you have bled the doctrine from your very heart and soul and cry out, "My hope is in Christ alone." Convictions are formed when there is nothing left of self, no strength, no self-trust, no high ideals, or control of the situation. You simply come to the end of yourself knowing Christ must increase and you must decrease. Period. End of story. That kind of conviction is almost unshakeable."
If you desire that kind of conviction, it can be found in Christ alone.  I know I've quoted it recently, but the thoughts from today bring it to mind again.
 
In Christ alone will I glory
For only by His grace
I am redeemed
And only His tender mercy
Could reach beyond my weakness
To my need
Now I seek no greater honor
Than just to know Him more
And to count my gains but losses
And to the glory of my Lord
 
In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory
In the power of the cross
In every victory
Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope
Is Christ alone

 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
1 Peter 1:5-7  New Living Translation (NLT)
5 And through your faith, God is protecting you by his power until you receive this salvation, which is ready to be revealed on the last day for all to see.
 
6 So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. 7 These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.

No comments: