Saturday, November 24, 2012

Verse of the Day 11/24

Exodus 3:14  God said to Moses, "I am who I am." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I am has sent me to you.'"
 
In this day and age you can get countless opinions on any subject.  In this age of the "new tolerance" everyone is entitled to their own opinion and in essence everyone's opinion has to be considered "right".  This has had an impact upon Christianity and the church itself.  You will hear people say things like "my God" or "my Jesus" would not do this or that, or "I think God" is this or that.  Today's verse should be as humbling to us as it was to Moses when God first said these words to him.
 
Think of those words "I am who I am" for a few moments, from a few different angles.  No matter how you look at it , it should humble us and cause us to revere Him.  In his book "John Calvin and His Passion for the majesty of God" writes, "In other words, the great, central, biblical name of Yahweh is explicitly rooted by God himself in the phrase "I am who I am." "Tell them, the one who simply and absolutely is has sent you. Tell them that the essential thing about me is that I am......"
 
It is not what I think, or reason, or wish about who God is that matters.  God knows who He is and He's given us the Bible to learn and know more about Him.  As we move into the Christmas season we celebrate the time when our great God sent His Son Jesus, in the flesh, to give us a greater knowledge and appreciation of who God is, that He exists, He lives and has a great love for us.
 
Think about the impact that these words had with Moses, David, or Paul in the New Testament.  God's Word and their experience of His presence made a life changing impression on them as to who God is and how He is to be followed, praised, and exalted.
 
Piper writes, "The absoluteness of God's existence enthralls the mind: God's never beginning, never ending, never becoming, never improving, simply and absolutely there—to be dealt with on his terms or not  at all."
God is God and I am not
I can only see a part of the picture He's painting
God is God and I am man
So I'll never understand it all
For only God is God        -  Steven Curtis Chapman - "Only God is God"
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Exodus 3:13-15  Amplified Bible (AMP)
13 And Moses said to God, Behold, when I come to the Israelites and say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you, and they say to me, What is His name? What shall I say to them?
14 And God said to Moses, I Am Who I Am and What I Am, and I Will Be What I Will Be; and He said, You shall say this to the Israelites: I Am has sent me to you!
15 God said also to Moses, This shall you say to the Israelites: The Lord, the God of your fathers, of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, has sent me to you! This is My name forever, and by this name I am to be remembered to all generations.

No comments: