Friday, February 1, 2013

Verse of the Day 2/1

Psalm 119:132  Turn to me and be gracious to me,
as is Your practice toward those who love Your name.
133 Make my steps steady through Your promise;
don't let any sin dominate me.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

I had planned on moving on from the subject of purifying ourselves, of "scrubbing" in and the process of sanctification in our lives.  When I read today's verses in my devotions this morning I decided to return to the subject for one more day.
 
There are a lot of potent strains of the flu and viruses going around today.  It is amazing how one little, unseen germ or virus can take over a body and put you down for the count for days or even weeks at a time.  One of the reasons that doctors "scrub in" is due to the new strains of bacteria such as MRSA or other "flesh eating" bacteria that are running rampant in hospitals and nursing care centers. 
 
So it is in society, there are new strains of "old sins" that can take over and dominate us if we are not careful, if we don't take the necessary steps to prevent them from coming into our lives.  Today's verses reveal to us that the power to withstand them does not come from ourselves.  It comes from the grace, the power of God and His Word in our lives.  The psalmist here "turns" to God, seeks His grace, His favor, His power knowing from past experience that God is gracious, He is faithful. 
 
May these verses be our prayer today and help us to "scrub in", to make our steps steady, our paths straight in our ongoing battles over sin that is lurking around us even if it is not in plain view..
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Psalm 119:129-136Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
129 Your decrees are wonderful;
therefore I obey them.
130 The revelation of Your words brings light
and gives understanding to the inexperienced.
131 I open my mouth and pant
because I long for Your commands.
132 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
as is Your practice toward those who love Your name.
133 Make my steps steady through Your promise;
don't let any sin dominate me.
134 Redeem me from human oppression,
and I will keep Your precepts.
135 Show favor to Your servant,
and teach me Your statutes.
136 My eyes pour out streams of tears
because people do not follow Your instruction.

No comments: