Monday, February 4, 2013

Verse of the Day 2/4

 
  2 Samuel 22:2 He said,"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
    my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation,
    my stronghold and my refuge,
    my savior; you save me from violence.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 

Today's verse from 2 Samuel 22 which has the heading David's song of deliverance.  David had know his share of troubles in his life.  The following verses give us an idea of how he looked at them and how we can look at similar trials in our lives.

 

Waves of death (v.5), these may be fears of illness or impending seige from the enemy.  Sometimes our fears come upon us in waves, we get though one just to find another.  Torrents of destruction - pictures of raging storms that also come in waves, in a downpour about all you can do is hunker down and wait it out.  Cords of Sheol, fears of hopelessness can tie us up and bind us, who will free us?  Distress, all of these things can leave us distressed (v.7), frazzled and our nerves frayed.

 

David turns to his God who has been his Deliverer in the past, giving him confidence that he will be so during the current trial.

 

The verse and the thoughts of deliverance reminded me of the chorus to the Rich Mullins song "My Deliverer"

 

My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by
My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by
He will never break His promise
Though the stars should break faith with the sky
My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by
My Deliverer is coming
 
Do you face waves, torrents, cords or distress today?  May you call out to God and realize that your Deliverer is coming.

 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

2 Samuel 22:1-7

New International Version (NIV)

David's Song of Praise

22 David sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. He said:

"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
    my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

"I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
    and have been saved from my enemies.
The waves of death swirled about me;
    the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
The cords of the grave coiled around me;
    the snares of death confronted me.

"In my distress I called to the Lord;
    I called out to my God.
From his temple he heard my voice;
    my cry came to his ears

No comments: