Friday, February 15, 2013

Verse of the Day 2/15

Acts 20:26 Therefore, I declare to you today that I am not responsible for the spiritual death of any of you. 27 I didn't avoid telling you the whole plan of God.   GOD'S WORD Translation (GW)

Bob referenced and spoke about this verse in his sermon last week and it has been on my mind ever since.  We all, as Christians, have a responsibility, as best as we know how to share the gospel, the full counsel of God to those who need to hear it.  This was reinforced in my New Testament read through the Bible text this morning in Matthew 28 where we have "the Great Commission" which tells us to go and "make disciples... teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you."
 
We may not be pastors, but we may be Sunday School teachers, Bible study leaders, youth group workers or have our own blog where we can spread the Word as we are led by God.  Will we follow through on His promptings?  It will be a challenge as we come across "touchy" subjects which seem to be taboo in this politically correct environment.  Will we avoid, shy away from these subjects?  I must admit that I have in some of the settings mentioned above.
 
John MacArthur comments that this "full counsel" refers to "the entire plan and purpose for man's salvation in all its fullness: divine truths of creation, election, redemption, justification, adoption, conversion, sanctification, holy living, and glorification."  If we are to spread the good news which includes these things, reading that list we should be sure that we will be "well versed",  have a better understanding ourselves of how we can speak of and defend them, with grace and love, as opportunities present themselves.  No, that is not right, these opportunities don't present themselves, God does.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Acts 20:25-27

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

25 "And now I know that none of you will ever see my face again—everyone I went about preaching the kingdom to. 26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent] of everyone's blood, 27 for I did not shrink back from declaring to you the whole plan of God.

No comments: