Monday, February 25, 2013

Verse of the Day 2/25

Philippians 4:13  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  English Standard Version (ESV)
From the time I was about 5 years old, I have memories of spending time with my grandfather Sivert in his workshop in his garage.  I loved the smell of the wood shavings from his power tools and hand planes.  I still have some of the things that he made and treasure them.  I also treasure some of the things that he helped instill in me.  One was that I could do just about anything that I set my mind to.  He taught me not to be afraid to learn how to use tools because you could do great things with them.  That has helped me over the years to learn how to use power tools around the home, and later to learn how to sew, use heat sealing equipment, digital printers and other equipment which have helped me in my career.
 
In today's verse Paul uses a word for "strengthens" that means "to be strong" or "to have strength".  MacArthur points out that the Greek word literally means "to put power in", stating "he infuses them with his strength to sustain them until they receive some provision."
 
In the Christian life, our walk, Christ infuses strength into us to face that challenges of life.  He gives us the tools that we need, faith, hope, love, patience to sustain us or until we will receive the provision to see us through.  As the Amplified Bible points out (below), we are not to be self sufficient on our own, instead we are self sufficient in Christ's sufficiency.  Big difference.  We can be bold in trying new things, in facing new challenges, not in ourselves but with confidence in Christ that he will teach us to properly use the tools which he has given us.
 
What challenges do you face today?  May you be strengthened by His love and may it see you through.
 
1 Corinthians 13:7 Love takes everything that comes without giving up. Love believes all things. Love hopes for all things. Love keeps on in all things. New Life Version (NLV)
.
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Philippians 4:12-14  Amplified Bible (AMP)
12 I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want.
13 I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency].
14 But it was right and commendable and noble of you to contribute for my needs and to share my difficulties with me.

No comments: