Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Verse of the Day 2/6

 
2 Samuel 22:20  He brought me out into a broad place;
    he rescued me, because he delighted in me.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
For today's verse we'll return to 2 Samuel 22.  The Lord had been with David through the waves of death, torrents of destruction, cords of Sheol, and the distress mentioned in verses 4 to 7 and brought him to a different place in his life.  Today's verse speaks of that place, it is a "broad place" a place with an open view a different perspective.
 
I love the mountains, especially the views looking across the valleys and the streams below.  Down in the valley those streams may be raging but from the view up high it is a beautiful scene.  I remember hiking up a mountainside through clear cut sections with fallen logs and brambles everywhere.   A tough trek but the view at the top was worth the climb.  That is what I see here from David.  He has come through the trials with a new view and a new perspective.  Instead of questioning God, he realized that God had rescued him and was delighted in him.
 
The verse and these thoughts remind me of one of my favorite quotes from Pastor and theologian Jonathan Edwards  "As grace increases the field opens more and more to a distant view, until the soul is swallowed up with the vastness of the object, and the person is astonished to think how much it becomes him to love his God and this glorious Redeemer that has so loved man."
Can you look back on some of waves, torrents and trials in your life and see how they have brought you to a new place, a broad place, with a new view, a new perspective in life?  If you find yourself in the middle of one of those situations now, may you look for deliverance to that higher place.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
2 Samuel 22:17-25  English Standard Version (ESV)
17 "He sent from on high, he took me;
    he drew me out of many waters.
18 He rescued me from my strong enemy,
    from those who hated me,
    for they were too mighty for me.
19 They confronted me in the day of my calamity,
    but the Lord was my support.
20 He brought me out into a broad place;
    he rescued me, because he delighted in me.

21 "The Lord dealt with me according to my righteousness;
    according to the cleanness of my hands he rewarded me.
22 For I have kept the ways of the Lord
    and have not wickedly departed from my God.
23 For all his rules were before me,
    and from his statutes I did not turn aside.
24 I was blameless before him,
    and I kept myself from guilt.
25 And the Lord has rewarded me according to my righteousness,
    according to my cleanness in his sight.

No comments: