Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Verse of the Day 2/27

 Psalm 139:9-10  If I climb to the sky, you're there!
    If I go underground, you're there!
If I flew on morning's wings
    to the far western horizon,
You'd find me in a minute—
    you're already there waiting!  The Message (MSG)
 

Yesterday I boarded a plane heading west.  As the captain prepared for takeoff he announced that we'd be traveling at an altitude of 40,000 feet.  I don't recall having a pilot announce that height before, that's 8 miles high.  As I settled in I read a devotional from Psalm 139, today's verses come from that passage.  Whether we're 8 miles high or in a tunnel beneath the earth, God is there.  If we start the day on the east coast and head west to St. Louis or beyond.  He is there.

 

Verse 7 asks the question "is there anywhere I can go to avoid your Spirit"?  The answer for the Christian is no and we should be glad that it is so.  Whether it is east to west in distance or relationship, emotion, or mood, He is there.  If we have strayed from the path, He is there and He will do whatever it takes to bring us back.

 

He'll do whatever, whatever it takes
His grace reaches lower than your worst mistakes
And His love will run farther
Than you can run away, my friend
He'll do whatever, whatever it takes    - Philips, Craig & Dean "He'll Do Whatever it Takes - chorus

 

These can be frightening thoughts if you are a Jonah trying to run from God, or the most comforting if you are a prodigal returning to God.  The question is which are we?  In either case He's already there waiting for us.  I hope that you take comfort in that.

 

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 139:7-12  The Message (MSG)

7-12 Is there anyplace I can go to avoid your Spirit?
    to be out of your sight?
If I climb to the sky, you're there!
    If I go underground, you're there!
If I flew on morning's wings
    to the far western horizon,
You'd find me in a minute—
    you're already there waiting!
Then I said to myself, "Oh, he even sees me in the dark!
    At night I'm immersed in the light!"
It's a fact: darkness isn't dark to you;
    night and day, darkness and light, they're all the same to you.

No comments: