Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Verse of the Day 2/19

Isaiah 1:18   "Come now, let's settle this,"
    says the Lord.
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
    I will make them as white as snow.
Though they are red like crimson,
    I will make them as white as wool.

Some translations start this verse with "let's discuss this", or let us reason together or argue this out.  It is literally to make a legal, binding decision.  It is talking about our faith, what we believe in and how we worship.  In the passage the people were lifting up their hands in worship, but Isaiah said that they were hands that were filled with blood.  Their worship was empty because their lives did not match up with their worship.
 
In his Tabletalk devotional this morning, R.C. Sproul writes that this verse "is a great promise indeed, assuring us that no matter how much sin has stained our souls, God can cleanse us completely and make us stand before Him as holy people.  But for this to happen, we must repent.  We must agree with the Lord's evaluation of sin in our lives - that it deserves wrath - and then we must renounce it, asking for God's pardon and strength that we might resist temptation.  We do this not just once but every day of our lives."
 

God desires clean hands and pure hearts.  We come to Him as sinners, without a plea, no defense.  He offers to cleanse us at which point we can lift holy hands in worship.  Last Sunday our church sang "Just as I am".  Meditate on these words for a few minutes, may it be the attitude of our hearts this and every day.

 

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

 

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Isaiah 1:17-19

English Standard Version (ESV)

17     learn to do good;
seek justice,
    correct oppression;
bring justice to the fatherless,
    plead the widow's cause.

18 "Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord:
though your sins are like scarlet,
    they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red like crimson,
    they shall become like wool.
19 If you are willing and obedient,
    you shall eat the good of the land;

No comments: