Monday, July 15, 2013

Verse of the Day 7/15

Joshua 1:5-6   Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you. Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Yesterday's passage from Isaiah chapter 6 came from a time of transition.  The king Uzziah had died, it had been a time of prosperity for the nation and their was a great deal of uncertainty as to where the nation was headed.  It was at that time that Isaiah had his vision of the glory of God in the temple.  It was an indication that God's people should seek their glory in their God who was in ultimate control of their destiny.
 
In today's passage we have another transition.  Moses had died, he had been God's chosen person to lead the nation.  Now God is indicating to Joshua that he is to be the person to lead the people.  Joshua had been an obedient servant, a dedicated warrior, but not everyone would look up to him in the same way.  However, Joshua was to find his identity in his God, not in the opinion of others.
 
All to often we can be tempted to take our identity from what people think of us, how they rate, esteem and value us.  We may be tempted to accept this and use it as an excuse not to answer the call to lead when God calls us to do so.  If you feel that God is calling you to lead in a situation, whether it be in the family, the church or community, whose voice whose opinion will hold sway?
 
May we have the courage of a Joshua or a Peter, to step out of our comfort zone, knowing that the Lord is with us, just as He had been with Moses, Joshua and Peter.
 
Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
 
To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out His hand
 
But the waves are calling out my name
And they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. "Boy, you'll never win!"
"You'll never win!"
 
Chorus:
But the voice of truth tells me a different story
The voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
The voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth
      (Casting Crowns)
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Joshua 1:5-9

English Standard Version (ESV)
No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life.Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you.Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success[a] wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

No comments: