Friday, July 19, 2013

Verse of the Day 7/19

 
Hebrews 4:16  So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.  New Living Translation (NLT)
 
Today's verse should be an encouragement to us on many fronts.  First of all, if we are a believer, a follower, we are a child of the King, not only having access to Him, but as His child we can come boldly to Him.  We also know our heavenly Father to be gracious and full of mercy.  But the main thing that I'd like to focus on this morning are the last few words of the verse, the NLT puts it "when we need it most".
 
I memorized this verse early in life in the KJV which states "in time of need".  This is true, but the "when I need it most" brings it home.  There are many times when we need Him and He is always there, but its when the chips are down that we need Him most and He is there.  John Piper notes that from the original Greek it could also be translated as "grace for a well timed help".  I'd say when we need it most would be well timed.  Piper continues, "The point is that prayer is the way to find future grace for a well timed help.  This grace always arrives from the throne of grace on time.  The phrase "throne of grace" means that future grace comes from the King of the Universe who sets the times by His own authority."
 
If you are in need of help today, call out to Him when you need Him most.
 
Those words "when I need it most" also reminded me of the old hymn:
 
Just when I need Him, Jesus is near, Just when I falter, just when I fear;
Ready to help me, ready to cheer, Just when I need Him most.
 Chorus
Just when I need Him most, Just when I need Him most,
Jesus is near to comfort and cheer, Just when I need Him most.
 
 Just when I need Him, Jesus is true, Never forsaking, all the way through;
Giving for burdens pleasures anew, Just when I need Him most.
 
 Just when I need Him, Jesus is strong, Bearing my burdens all the day long;
For all my sorrow giving a song, Just when I need Him most.
 
 Just when I need Him, He is my all, Answering when upon Him I call;
Tenderly watching lest I should fall, Just when I need Him most.

Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Hebrews 4:15-16

King James Version (KJV)
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

No comments: