Sunday, July 7, 2013

Verse of the Day 7/7

 
Jeremiah 15:16 When I discovered your words, I devoured them.
    They are my joy and my heart's delight,
for I bear your name,
    O Lord God of Heaven's Armies    New Living Translation (NLT)
 
Yesterday I had a busy day, going for  a 3 mile walk, playing 18 holes of golf and then mowing  my yard in the mid afternoon heat.  After having skipped lunch when dinnertime came around I was hungry and devoured the fried chicken, cole slaw and hush puppies as well as several glasses of iced tea and lemonade.  Today's verse shows us the attitude of the prophets heart for God and His word.  Much like David in Psalm 43 who daily longed for God's Word, the prophet speaks of devouring it, having a voracious appetite for the Word.  His hearts desire is to know more of his great God.
 
There can be times in our lives where we are on the go, seemingly at a frantic pace, whether at work or at play and we don't stop to take time to have lunch or to rest or to recharge our batteries. Where do you turn to recharge your batteries when you finally slow down?  It will likely reveal the state of your relationship with Jesus Christ.
 
If you've been away for too long, take some time yet this weekend to dive back in.  Try a Psalm such as 42,43 or 46.  Read one of the powerful chapters from Jeremiah or Isaiah.  James MacDonald writes, "These portions are intended to fire us up, and take hold of the abundant food God has provided in His Word to feed ourselves day by day and, moment by moment."  Moment by moment you'll realize that He is with you.
 
Moment by moment I'm kept in His love;
Moment by moment I've life from above;
Looking to Jesus till glory doth shine;
Moment by moment, O Lord, I am Thine.

Never a trial that He is not there,
Never a burden that He doth not bear,
Never a sorrow that He doth not share ,
Moment by moment, I'm under His care.

 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Jeremiah 15:15-17

New Living Translation (NLT)

15 Then I said,

"Lord, you know what's happening to me.
    Please step in and help me. Punish my persecutors!
Please give me time; don't let me die young.
    It's for your sake that I am suffering.
16 When I discovered your words, I devoured them.
    They are my joy and my heart's delight,
for I bear your name,
    O Lord God of Heaven's Armies.
17 I never joined the people in their merry feasts.
    I sat alone because your hand was on me.
    I was filled with indignation at their sins.

No comments: