Friday, October 17, 2014

Verse of the Day 10/17

 
John 8:31-32 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
We've spent some time recently considering the importance of God's Word in the lives a Christian along with all of the benefits - guiding, counseling, restoring and nourishing to name a few.  Notice what Jesus says here, it is to those who believed in Him, not merely in words but as a matter of the heart.  The abiding, living, and remaining immersed in Him and His Word will lead to realizing and appreciating these benefits.
 
The other important factor in abiding is the "freeing" mentioned in today's verse.  There is freedom, forgiveness, a lightening the load that we are baring.  As I thought of all of these things an old hymn came to mind.  "Jesus, What a Friend of Sinners".
 
Jesus! what a Friend for sinners!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.
Refrain
Hallelujah! what a Savior!
Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.
 
The saving, helping, keeping and loving mentioned here are the benefits the fruits of abiding and remaining in Him.  The second stanza may speak to the way we may feel at times.  We will face times of weakness where our faith may not seem strong.  We may face times of feeling tempted, tried and even sometimes failing.  When we abide in Him through those times,  He shows and is our Strength in weakness. 
 
Jesus! what a Strength in weakness!
Let me hide myself in Him.
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
He, my Strength, my victory wins.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

John 8:30-32The Message (MSG)

30 When he put it in these terms, many people decided to believe.

If the Son Sets You Free

31-32 Then Jesus turned to the Jews who had claimed to believe in him. "If you stick with this, living out what I tell you, you are my disciples for sure. Then you will experience for yourselves the truth, and the truth will free you."

No comments: