Monday, October 6, 2014

Verse of the Day 10/6

Galatians 1:10For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
I'm sure you know of some people in your life that are "people pleasers", going through life trying to meet others expectations in order to receive accolades and "atta boys".  The Apostle Paul knew what that was like, in fact it was an important part of his life before becoming a Christ follower.  If fact, right up to the time of his conversion, when Christ appeared to him, he was a devout people pleaser, persecuting Christians on behalf of those he was most trying to please.
 
John the Baptist proclaimed a message of repentance, of turning from sin.  Paul is encouraging, challenging people to turn as well.  If you are turning from something you must pivot, change direction towards something else.  Pastor Bob has often said "direction determines destination".  As The Message says below, what Paul was preaching was not a message of human optimism or the "power of positive thinking".  He was pointing to a change of heart, a desire to please God
 
As we head off into the work week, may we be thinking of whom we are trying to please.  The end of today's verse points out that if we are trying to please men we would not be servants of Christ.  Our motive should not be recognition which serves to build our pride, but to honor the One who has given us everything that we have and who continues to bless us with what we need.
 
Paul did not live for the "applause, applause, applause", he had something higher and nobler in mind.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Galatians 1:10The Message (MSG)

10-12 Do you think I speak this strongly in order to manipulate crowds? Or curry favor with God? Or get popular applause? If my goal was popularity, I wouldn't bother being Christ's slave. Know this—I am most emphatic here, friends—this great Message I delivered to you is not mere human optimism. I didn't receive it through the traditions, and I wasn't taught it in some school. I got it straight from God, received the Message directly from Jesus Christ.

No comments: