Thursday, October 23, 2014

Verse of the Day 10/23

 
Philippians 2:14-15 Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Reading today's verse made me chuckle because it brought me back to the days when our kids were little.  It seemed like every time they were asked to take out the garbage, clean up their rooms, or help shovel the snow it was met with grumbling and disputing about how unfair it was.  Perhaps you can relate.  But just as we considered political backbiting over the past couple of days and took a look at ourselves, we need to do the same thing here.
 
As you read through God's Word, the Bible, you will (or at least you should) be prompted to do some things.  Perhaps it involves forgiveness or encouraging someone, helping someone or just being a friend to someone who needs it now.  How often are those promptings met with grumbling to ourselves or to God that we just don't have time or we're too tired or any other number of excuses?
 
Sometimes we may be in God's Word but feel like He is not speaking to us.  John Piper writes, "When I complain that I don't hear the Word of God, when I feel a desire to hear the voice of God, and get frustrated that he does not speak in ways that I may crave, what am I really saying? Am I really saying that I have exhausted this final decisive Word revealed to me so fully in the New Testament? Have I really exhausted this Word? Has it become so much a part of me that it has shaped my very being and given me life and guidance?"
 
If we feel that He is not speaking to us, perhaps we have to dig a little deeper.  The Apostle Paul, writing from prison, could easily have grumbled plenty.  Instead, here he is encouraging others, including us, to go out and to good.  To be a "breath of fresh air" and to "carry the light"  (The Message) to others in this messed up society.  Instead of grumbling, we should be able to shine.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Philippians 2:14-16The Message (MSG)

14-16 Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second-guessing allowed! Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night so I'll have good cause to be proud of you on the day that Christ returns. You'll be living proof that I didn't go to all this work for nothing.

No comments: