Saturday, March 14, 2015

Verse of the Day 3/14

 
2 Peter 3:18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Over the past couple of days we've considered how Jude, in his short letter challenged and challenges to "contend for the faith".  Yesterday we considered Peter's call in 1 Peter 1 to "have our minds ready for action".  In today's verse Peter gives us a picture of what is involved in having our minds ready to be able to contend for the faith.  We are to grow in our faith, grow in the "grace and knowledge" of Jesus.
 
For those of us who are parents and grandparents, our kids were precious as newborns, but we ultimately wanted them to grow.  We took notice of the first time they rolled over, their first words, their first steps, learning to ride a bike and going off to school for the first time. So it is with us, even as we move into our later years, we should still be growing in this grace.
 
I've been reading a book by Edward Schillebeeckx which was given to me by my son Jason who wrote his dissertation on his works.  It had to do with faith and grace.  Schillebeeckx writes, "God's invitation to believe, to which I come in the act of faith, is what motivates me in faith.  I believe because I rely on, and place my trust in, the grace of God who invites me to believe.  Grace itself draws me and establishes in me the disposition and the willingness to accept what the church proposes that I should believe.  Faith is, however, not simply an act of grace - it is also an act, in grace of man."  I believe that this also carries over to what we read in God's Word, God draws us and establishes His Word in us as we spend time in it, meditate on it and act upon it in faith.  That action is the grace of God in man, in me, and in you.
 
"May we do our best to be found living at (y)our best, in purity and in peace" (The Message) in this land that we're passing though while we look towards our final destination.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

2 Peter 3:14-16The Message (MSG)

14-16 So, my dear friends, since this is what you have to look forward to, do your very best to be found living at your best, in purity and peace. Interpret our Master's patient restraint for what it is: salvation. Our good brother Paul, who was given much wisdom in these matters, refers to this in all his letters, and has written you essentially the same thing. Some things Paul writes are difficult to understand. Irresponsible people who don't know what they are talking about twist them every which way. They do it to the rest of the Scriptures, too, destroying themselves as they do it.

No comments: