Saturday, March 28, 2015

Verse of the Day 3/28


Psalm 119:5-6Oh that my ways may be steadfast

    in keeping your statutes!
Then I shall not be put to shame,
    having my eyes fixed on all your commandments. English Standard Version (ESV)

"Fix my eyes" has definitely become the focus of these devotionals as the topic has come up time and time  again in my personal devotions.  Today was no exception.  Each day I read through a Psalm, or in today's case in Psalm 119 a portion of the Psalm.  I had not previously thought of Psalm 119 in terms of fixing our eyes on God and His Word but the words jumped out at me today.

David once again reveals his hearts desire to be a God follower, someone that "follows hard after God".  The verses are a reminder that to do so is more than thinking "what is the wise thing to do", or more recently in recent years "what would Jesus do"?  Those are good thoughts in and of themselves, but if we don't know what God would do or say based on His Word, we are simply elevating our thoughts and equating them with God's.  We need to pay attention and get our direction from God's Word and seeing His actions in the Old Testament and the actions of Jesus, God incarnate in the New Testament.

Verse 6 states, then I shall not be put to shame.  This takes me back to the "fix my eyes song" from yesterday, especially the words  "stand tall and above it all".  This standing tall is living in a way where we will not be put to shame.  It is living a life with integrity and character.  You've probably heard the saying from Stephen Covey ""Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny", as Christians, we are to be sowing God's thoughts and His actions as we find them in the Bible.

May our attitude be: "I'm going to do what you tell me to do;
    don't ever walk off and leave me."  Psalm 119:8 The Message
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:1-8The Message (MSG)

119 1-8 You're blessed when you stay on course,
    walking steadily on the road revealed by God.
You're blessed when you follow his directions,
    doing your best to find him.
That's right—you don't go off on your own;
    you walk straight along the road he set.
You, God, prescribed the right way to live;
    now you expect us to live it.
Oh, that my steps might be steady,
    keeping to the course you set;
Then I'd never have any regrets
    in comparing my life with your counsel.
I thank you for speaking straight from your heart;
    I learn the pattern of your righteous ways.
I'm going to do what you tell me to do;
    don't ever walk off and leave me.

  

No comments: