Sunday, March 29, 2015

Verse of the Day 3/29


Psalm 119:15-16I will meditate on your precepts

    and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
    I will not forget your word.    English Standard Version (ESV)

We'll continue with the theme of "fixing our eyes" on God, on Jesus with today's verse from Psalm 119 in the next group of 8 verses from yesterday's passage.  The NIV
translation for verse 16 uses the word "neglect" in place of the word forget.  The two thoughts go together.  If you don't neglect something you won't forget it.  However
you do neglect something for days, weeks or years you are more apt to forget it.

God's Word is on the psalmist's heart, he thinks about them, meditates on them and they govern the thoughts and intents of his heart which lead to his actions.
Committing the Word to memory makes it accessible in all circumstances (v.11). By meditating on Scripture, we discover its meaning and how to apply spiritual principles (v.15). In addition, sharing with others what we learn can edify them.  The Message puts it like this, "I'll transfer to my mouth all the counsel that come from your lips" (for us that is from His Word).

Pastor James Smith wrote, "He sent His Holy Spirit into our hearts, to convince us of sin, lead us to Jesus, and make us fit for Heaven!

We have . . .

His Word in our hands,

His grace in our hearts,

His mercies in our houses,

His Heaven before our eyes!


O for a thankful heart!"

Colossians 3:15-17New International Version (NIV)

15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:15-16The Message (MSG)

9-16 How can a young person live a clean life?
    By carefully reading the map of your Word.
I'm single-minded in pursuit of you;
    don't let me miss the road signs you've posted.
I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart
    so I won't sin myself bankrupt.
Be blessed, God;
    train me in your ways of wise living.
I'll transfer to my lips
    all the counsel that comes from your mouth;
I delight far more in what you tell me about living
    than in gathering a pile of riches.
I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you,
    I attentively watch how you've done it.
I relish everything you've told me of life,
    I won't forget a word of it.

  

No comments: