Saturday, September 10, 2016

Verse of the Day 9/10

Verse of  the Day 9/10

Jeremiah 33:3   Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.English Standard Version (ESV)

Yesterday we considered how God said "let there be light" and there was light.  He willed it to be and it  happened.  We "will" we desire a lot of things in this life, some things we have the God given power to bring about.  But the important things in life and for eternity, belong to God. 

In light of yesterday's verse, today's should have added significance.  The very God who created, light and the rest of the universe around us, calls us to Himself.  He desires to reveal Himself to us day by day, a little at a time, whether it be through His creation, through His Word or the Holy Spirit bringing the two things together in our minds.

Charles Spurgeon comments on these "hidden things" when he writes, "There are different translations of these words. One version renders it, "I will shew thee great and fortified things." Another, "Great and reserved things." Now, there are reserved and special things in Christian experience: all the developments of spiritual life are not alike easy of attainment. There are the common frames and feelings of repentance, and faith, and joy, and hope, which are enjoyed by the entire family; but there is an upper realm of rapture, of communion, and conscious union with Christ, which is far from being the common dwelling-place of believers.......If you would reach to something higher than ordinary grovelling experience, look to the Rock that is higher than you, and gaze with the eye of faith through the window of importunate prayer. When you open the window on your side, it will not be bolted on the other."

How often, or perhaps I should ask, when was the last time you called to God to learn from Him, to see these hidden, fortified and reserved things?  His desire for us is that we desire Him, call to Him and be anxious and ready to receive these hidden things that He is ready to reveal to us. 

We'll close with a psalm that shows how David cried to God.  May we have the same heart, the same attitude in prayer and praise.

Psalm 61
Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.
Thou wilt prolong the king's life: and his years as many generations.
He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him.
So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Jeremiah 33:1-3The Message (MSG)

Things You Could Never Figure Out on Your Own

33 While Jeremiah was still locked up in jail, a second Message fromGod was given to him:

2-3 "This is God's Message, the God who made earth, made it livable and lasting, known everywhere as God: 'Call to me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.'

  

No comments: