Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Verse of the Day 9/6

Verse of the Day 9/6

Philippians 3:17 Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.  English Standard Version (ESV)

In yesterday's post I encouraged and challenged you to find  time on the Labor Day holiday to draw close to God and meditate, spend some private time with Him.  After writing that post I got up went out and had a busy day.  I did not take a morning walk but got going on things.  Finally late in the day I got in my miles and listened to some Christian music while walking.  I played some music I hadn't listened to for a while and was struck by the words of the Casting Crown song "Now My life Song Sings".

I once was lost, but now I'm found
I once was lost, but now I'm found
So far away, but I'm home now
I once was lost, but now I'm found
And now my lifesong sings

I once was blind, but now I see
I once was blind, but now I see
I don't know how, but when He touched me
I once was blind, but now I see

And now my lifesong sings
And now my lifesong sings
And now my lifesong sings

As I listened to the song I thought of the Apostle Paul, his life experience, all that he had been through before Christ and all that he did in following Christ after he was made blind but then had his eyes opened to the call of Jesus.  He had thought he had been following God earlier in his life, but what he was actually following was religion.  But God found him, called him, changed him and led him.  His life song has sung to generations of Christ followers.  His voice still calls out through this letter to the Philippians to join in imitating Christ, and to keep our eyes on those who walk according to the example seen in Paul and in Christ followers through the generations.  May it be said of us.

It will not be easy, our lives will be filled with challenges.  But press on and keep following, keep imitating.  Read the short passage below from The Message.  It reminds us that "easy street is a dead end street".  The street we take may be less traveled but it leads to a glorious destination.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Philippians 3:17-21The Message (MSG)

17-19 Stick with me, friends. Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal. There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them. I've warned you of them many times; sadly, I'm having to do it again. All they want is easy street. They hate Christ's Cross. But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods; belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites.

20-21 But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him.

  

No comments: