Friday, September 2, 2016

Verse of the Day 9/2

Verse of the Day 9/2


John 8:51  Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death."  English Standard Version (ESV)

I read today's verse in my devotions yesterday and as I did I could not help but think of the post from the other day where we considered what it meant to "hold to", continue, remain and live by His teachings.  The one who "keeps my word" as we see in today's verse is doing just that and God will honor and reward His followers with eternal life.

We've all heard it said, perhaps jokingly, that only two things are certain in life, death and taxes.  We will all some day pass away, unless the Lord returns during our lifetime.  But what the verse is telling us  that we will never "see" death.  Death in the Biblical sense is eternal separation from God.  For the Christian death leads to new life.  The Message (below) puts it like this, "you'll never have to look death in the face".  Looking death in the face sounds scary, and it is, but if we are His child we won't have to worry about it because we're holding to the One who holds our eternal future in His hands.  When we pass from this world He will carry us to the next in His everlasting arms.

  1. What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms;
    What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms.
    • Refrain:
      Leaning, leaning,
      Safe and secure from all alarms;
      Leaning, leaning,
      Leaning on the everlasting arms.
  2. Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms;
    Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms.
  3. What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms?
    I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
    Leaning on the everlasting arms.
  4. As Christians we don't need to fear death, separation from God.  We look forward to eternal fellowship, joy and a bright path and future.  May that encourage us to keep, to hold to His Word day by day as we walk this pilgrim way.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 8:51-53The Message (MSG)

49-51 Jesus said, "I'm not crazy. I simply honor my Father, while you dishonor me. I am not trying to get anything for myself. God intends something gloriously grand here and is making the decisions that will bring it about. I say this with absolute confidence. If you practice what I'm telling you, you'll never have to look death in the face."

52-53 At this point the Jews said, "Now we know you're crazy. Abraham died. The prophets died. And you show up saying, 'If you practice what I'm telling you, you'll never have to face death, not even a taste.' Are you greater than Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you think you are!"

  

No comments: