Monday, September 5, 2016

Verse of the Day 9/5

Verse of the Day 9/5

Philippians 3:13-14 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.    English Standard Version (ESV)

Over the past few days, we've considered holding to, keeping and abiding in Christ.  In today's verses Paul gives us an example of what it looks like and the attitude that we are to have in our Christian lives.  To press on, straining for what lies ahead.

Today we celebrate Labor Day a day that most of us will have off to enjoy some recreation and take our minds of the daily grind of work.  Hopefully, it will allow for some time of reflection of where we stand and where we need to go in our spiritual lives.  We are in a race, our lives are a marathon.  We've come a long way but there is still a long way to go.  Any of us who have done some long distance running have experienced what is called "hitting the wall".  You come to a part in the run where  your energy is sapped, your muscles ache and the thought crosses your mind to quit, to give up.  At the same time, you know from experience that if you keep going you'll gain that "second wind" that will lift you and give you the stamina you need to continue and  finish the race.  But you have to long, to hunger to finish the race, to feel that experience of the second wind and to reach the finish line.

A. W. Tozer writes, "In nature everything moves in the direction of its hungers. In the spiritual world it is not otherwise. We gravitate toward our inward longing, provided of course that those longings are strong enough to move us. Impotent dreaming will not do. The religious urge that is not followed by a corresponding act of the will in the direction of that urge is a waste of emotion." The Size of the Soul, 17-18.      May we take some time to meditate, think about where we are in the race.  May we have and experience that longing to know Him better, to desire a richer fuller life here and beyond. My prayer is that He would move me, move us further in the direction of that hunger.  May He fill our every longing".    
1. There's within my heart a melody 
Jesus whispers sweet and low: 
Fear not, I am with thee, peace, be still, 
in all of life's ebb and flow. 
Refrain: 
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, 
sweetest name I know, 
fills my every longing, 
keeps me singing as I go. 
  
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Philippians 3:12-14The Message (MSG)

Focused on the Goal

12-14 I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

  

No comments: