Thursday, September 29, 2016

Verse of the Day 9/29

Verse of the Day 9/29

John 16:33I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."  English Standard Version (ESV)

Yesterday we considered from Romans 8 how we are to approach God, go to Him in prayer even, perhaps especially in troubled times when we can't even put our feelings into words.  He hears our groanings and knows our longings.  In today's verse Jesus tells us that we can have peace, that we can be overcomers through Him.  Jesus overcame the world, the devil and all that he threw at Him, He overcame death, rose from the grave and brought us salvation and deliverance from death.  It is with this confidence that we can be overcomers.

The notes in my ESV Daily Devotional New Testament for this verse state that "When we place our faith in the finished work of Christ, we are joined with Jesus and overcome the world together with him ( 1 John 5:4–5 ). We will someday experience the fullness of this victory, but in the meantime we can find peace in the midst of trials and suffering by remembering the promises of Christ and his victory ( John 16:33 )."
Yesterday I read the following verse in Psalm 30:

Psalm 30:10Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me!

    O Lord, be my helper!" English Standard Version (ESV)

David, in his troubled times called out to the Lord.  We read of many of his "cries" in the psalms.  I'm sure there were just as many times that He sought the Lord with groanings when He could not put his feelings into words.   His cry for mercy reminded me of Jeremiah, the weeping prophet writing in Lamentations 3 about God's mercies being new every morning.  It was his attitude in the midst of trouble as it was David's.  It should be ours as well, to look for His mercies, to rely on God as our "helper" as He leads us.

1
All the way my Savior leads me;
  What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
  Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,
  Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate'er befall me,
  Jesus doeth all things well,
For I know, whate'er befall me,
  Jesus doeth all things well.
2
All the way my Savior leads me,
  Cheers each winding path I tread,
Gives me grace for every trial,
  Feeds me with the living bread.
Though my weary steps may falter,
  And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
  Lo! a spring of joy I see,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
  Lo! a spring of joy I see.

"I've told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace."  (V.33 The Message)
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 16:33The Message (MSG)

31-33 Jesus answered them, "Do you finally believe? In fact, you're about to make a run for it—saving your own skins and abandoning me. But I'm not abandoned. The Father is with me. I've told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I've conquered the world."

  

No comments: