Saturday, September 3, 2016

Verse of the Day 9/3

Verse of the Day 9/3

Psalm 119:9-10 How can a young man cleanse his way?

By taking heed according to Your word.
10 With my whole heart I have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!   New King James Version (NKJV)


Over the past few days we've considered things like holding to and abiding in Christ and the things that we believe in.  Yesterday's verse from John 8 declared that those who keep His word will never see, never experience spiritual death, separation from God.  This holding, abiding and keeping are a life long process.  Today's verse comes from Psalm 119 which is the longest chapter in the Bible and it is all about God's Word, statutes and decrees. 

The psalmist begins the passage by asking how a person can cleanse his way, keep his life pure, and remain unstained.  He then stresses the importance of God's Word in our lives, and "taking heed".  The Message paints a picture of what this looks like, "by carefully reading the map of your word" and being in "single minded pursuit" of God.  Does that describe our lives?  If so, keep going, if not take heed and be ready to make a change.


If we are going to "take heed" according to His Word, we will have to be in His Word and allow it to guide and shape our lives.  David Jeremiah writes, "let's remember that God's schoolroom is called meditation. It's not enough just to read the Bible, or even simply to study it. We need to find quiet times to mull over its words, meditate on its verses, and ponder its truths. That's what shapes our character. If you can't find a barn with a tin roof, any quiet spot will do. Settle down, quiet yourself, be still, contemplate the Lord and His Word, and know that He is God."

  We are celebrating Labor Day weekend, a time when we take a break from our "labors".  May we take some time to "take heed",get away to a quiet place outdoors or just a quiet place in your home, and spend some time in His Word and in prayer.  May we "relish" everything we learn and "not forget a word of it" (The Message).  That's what the "taking heed" is all about.  
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:9-16The Message (MSG)

9-16 How can a young person live a clean life?
    By carefully reading the map of your Word.
I'm single-minded in pursuit of you;
    don't let me miss the road signs you've posted.
I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart
    so I won't sin myself bankrupt.
Be blessed, God;
    train me in your ways of wise living.
I'll transfer to my lips
    all the counsel that comes from your mouth;
I delight far more in what you tell me about living
    than in gathering a pile of riches.
I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you,
    I attentively watch how you've done it.
I relish everything you've told me of life,
    I won't forget a word of it.

  

No comments: