Sunday, September 4, 2016

Verse of the Day 9/4


Psalm 119:15-16 I will meditate on your precepts

    and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
    I will not forget your word.  English Standard Version (ESV)

  
For today's verses we'll return to the same passage in Psalm 119 where the psalmist asked yesterday "how can a young man lead a clean life, keep his way pure?".  The answer was by reading and pursuing God through His Word, God's Word in effect guarding his way and his heart.  In verse 10 he speaks of the present when he states "with my whole heart I seek you".  It is one thing to seek Him now but what about the future.  We all know how easy it is to drift, to wander if we don't pay attention to where we are going.

Today's verses end the passage with the psalmist saying "I will meditate, fix my eyes, and take  delight in God's words, commands and ways".  It gives the idea of pressing on, continuing day by day.  There is no set time for spending time in God's word, morning, noon or night, but the important thing is that we do so, that we carve out that time to read, to listen and obey.  John Newton writes, "we learn more, and more effectually, by one minute's communication with God through the medium of His written Word, than we could from an assembly of theologians, or a library of books."

The last thing the psalmist says is "I will not forget your word".  He is setting his mind on committing it  to memory.  May we do so day by day, fixing our eyes on His Word and Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.  May it also show in our actions, that we will:

Love like I'm not scared
Give when it's not fair
Live life for another
Take time for a brother
Fight for the weak ones
Speak out for freedom 
Find faith in the battle
Stand tall but above it all
Fix my eyes on You
On You  (For King and Country)


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:15-16The Message (MSG)

9-16 How can a young person live a clean life?
    By carefully reading the map of your Word.
I'm single-minded in pursuit of you;
    don't let me miss the road signs you've posted.
I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart
    so I won't sin myself bankrupt.
Be blessed, God;
    train me in your ways of wise living.
I'll transfer to my lips
    all the counsel that comes from your mouth;
I delight far more in what you tell me about living
    than in gathering a pile of riches.
I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you,
    I attentively watch how you've done it.
I relish everything you've told me of life,
    I won't forget a word of it.

  

No comments: