Sunday, March 17, 2019

Verse of the Day 3/17

Verse of the Day 3/17

Psalm 139:17-18    How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!

    How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
    I awake, and I am still with you.    English Standard Version (ESV)

As I read today's verses the first thoughts that came to mind were that God's thoughts as expressed in the Bible, His Word are precious to me.  However, the words "to me" can mean much more than my personal thoughts.  Reading from The Passion Translation (below) may cause us to look at these words, these verses a little differently.  God's Word are His thoughts towards us, they are meant for us.  Just as He knew us before we were formed in the womb, God has had these thoughts for us since before we ever came into being.

If His Words are meant for us we should consider them as precious and we should desire to hear from God and act upon what He speaks "towards" us daily in His Word.  David Mathis writes , "One of the most important actions we can take on any given day is to fight through the fog, against Satan's great deception, and get our souls within earshot of God's word. Cultivating the daily habit of enjoying "time alone with God" in the Scriptures feeds our souls and gives us our bearings for the rough and tumble of everyday life, whatever your vocation and state of family, church, and community responsibilities"

Believing that His thoughts are towards us also adds meaning to the statement if verse 18 in the ESV "how vast is the sum of them".  He has words and thoughts for us beyond measure.  Won't we take some time each day to find out what thoughts that He has for us day by day?

As I read the word "vast" the song from Fernando Ortega came to mind about His love being "vast as the ocean".  He shows us this through His word.

Here is love, vast as the ocean
Lovingkindness as the flood
When the Prince of Life, our Ransom
Shed for us His precious blood
Who His love will not remember?
Who can cease to sing His praise?
He can never be forgotten
Throughout Heav'n's eternal days
On the mount of crucifixion
Fountains opened deep and wide
Through the floodgates of God's mercy
Flowed a vast a gracious tide
Grace and love, like mighty rivers
Poured incessant from above
And Heav'n's peace and perfect justice
Kissed a guilty world in love
Read the passage below today.  May they be precious to you and help you realize that you are precious to Him.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 139:17-24 The Passion Translation (TPT)

17–18 Every single moment you are thinking of me!
How precious and wonderful to consider
that you cherish me constantly in your every thought!
O God, your desires toward me are more
than the grains of sand on every shore!
When I awake each morning, you're still with me.
19 O God, come and slay these bloodthirsty, murderous men!
For I cry out, "Depart from me, you wicked ones!"
20 See how they blaspheme your sacred name
and lift up themselves against you, but all in vain!
21 Lord, can't you see how I despise those who despise you?
For I grieve when I see them rise up against you.
22 I have nothing but complete hatred and disgust for them.
Your enemies shall be my enemies!
23 God, I invite your searching gaze into my heart.
Examine me through and through;
find out everything that may be hidden within me.
Put me to the test and sift through all my anxious cares.
24 See if there is any path of pain I'm walking on,
and lead me back to your glorious, everlasting ways—
the path that brings me back to you.

No comments: