Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Verse of the Day 3/20

Verse of the Day 3/20

Proverbs 13:19-20   A longing fulfilled is sweet to the soul,

    but fools detest turning from evil.

20 Walk with the wise and become wise,
    for a companion of fools suffers harm.    New International Version (NIV)



People are longing for all kinds of things.  It may be relief from chronic pain or illness.  It may be longing for a wayward child to return to the right path.  It may be for a new job, career opportunity or perhaps to get into a certain school.  We've all had longings.  Think about those that have been fulfilled and what they meant to you.  Have you praised God for them?  You still can.

As I read today's verse in the NIV, that word "longing" jumped out at me.  Our men's Bible study group has been going through the book of Mark and we are currently in chapter 4.  We've seen Jesus call His disciples, we've seen Him perform various forms of miracles and will see more.  Looking back, you can see in case after case, Jesus was fulfilling someone's longing, often the persons longing was for the benefit of a friend or loved one.  Picture the four men who lowered their friend through the roof of a house in order to put their paralyzed friend in front of Jesus for healing.  They longed for healing for their friend and would stop at nothing to bring Him before Jesus.  Jesus filled their longing.

As I continue to read through the Bible, especially the Gospels I'm going to be paying attention to those who have longings and how Jesus fulfills them.  It started with the disciples and their longing for something better than their lives of fishing or tax collecting.  Jesus called them to "follow" me.  They did so and "walked with the wise and became wise" as verse 20 in today's verses stated.

I'm reminded of the old hymn "There's Within My Heart a Melody" and the words "fills my every longing".  May He fulfill yours or those for a friend or loved one today.  Bring them to Him.

. There's within my heart a melody 
Jesus whispers sweet and low: 
Fear not, I am with thee, peace, be still, 
in all of life's ebb and flow. 
Refrain: 
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, 
sweetest name I know, 
fills my every longing, 
keeps me singing as I go. 

2. All my life was wrecked by sin and strife, 
discord filled my heart with pain; 
Jesus swept across the broken strings, 
stirred the slumbering chords again. 
(Refrain) 

3. Though sometimes he leads through waters deep, 
trials fall across the way, 
though sometimes the path seems rough and steep, 
see his footprints all the way.



--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Proverbs 13:19-21 New Living Translation (NLT)

19 It is pleasant to see dreams come true,
    but fools refuse to turn from evil to attain them.

20 Walk with the wise and become wise;
    associate with fools and get in trouble.

21 Trouble chases sinners,
    while blessings reward the righteous.

No comments: