Sunday, March 1, 2020

Verse of the Day 3/1

Verse of the Day 3/1

Psalm 24:9-10   Lift up your heads, you gates;

    lift them up, you ancient doors,
    that the King of glory may come in.
10 Who is he, this King of glory?
    The Lord Almighty—
    he is the King of glory.    New International Version (NIV)

I read today's verses in the "Today in the Word" devotional which posed the following questions, "If you close your eyes, can you picture the door of your childhood home? Maybe you remember unlatching the gate that led to your backyard? If you returned to these same places today, you might pause—before you walked through—to remember the past."

It did bring me back, to my childhood home and then the first home from when Jean and I were married.  I can still picture them now in my mind.  I also remember the gate to the driveway and the gate to the sidewalk and front door of our first home.  The gates had been made by my grandfather out of wood and metal.  They survived many years but at some point had to be rebuilt.  I remade them by hand to the same design, not as well as my grandfather Sivert built them (he was a carpenter by trade).  But they were presentable for those that we would welcome in.

But when you picture the gates or the door to God's kingdom, there would be no comparison.  Like God Himself, His kingdom would never rust, rot or need repair.  His kingdom is forever.

David probably had in mind welcoming God, the eternal King of Kings and Lord of Lords into the city and into the temple to worship Him.  He outshines anything that we could build.  He is the King of Glory and we know of Him as Jesus, Savior, Messiah.

I had been thinking of this Psalm earlier in the week when I heard "King of Glory" from Third Day on Christian radio, which sort of brought this full circle.

Who is this King of glory that pursues me with His love
And haunts me with each hearing of His softly spoken words
My conscience, a reminder of forgiveness that I need
Who is this King of glory who offers it to me
Who is this King of angels, O blessed Prince of Peace
Revealing things of Heaven and all it's mysteries
My spirit's ever longing for His grace in which to stand
Who is this King of glory, Son of God and song of man
His name is Jesus, precious Jesus
The Lord Almighty, the King of my heart
The King of glory.

Read Psalm 24 below, may we be of the generation that seeks Him, the King of Glory.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 24 English Standard Version (ESV)

The King of Glory

A Psalm of David.

24 The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof,[a]
    the world and those who dwell therein,
for he has founded it upon the seas
    and established it upon the rivers.

Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord?
    And who shall stand in his holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
    who does not lift up his soul to what is false
    and does not swear deceitfully.
He will receive blessing from the Lord
    and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
Such is the generation of those who seek him,
    who seek the face of the God of Jacob.[b] Selah

Lift up your heads, O gates!
    And be lifted up, O ancient doors,
    that the King of glory may come in.
Who is this King of glory?
    The Lord, strong and mighty,
    the Lord, mighty in battle!
Lift up your heads, O gates!
    And lift them up, O ancient doors,
    that the King of glory may come in.
10 Who is this King of glory?
    The Lord of hosts,
    he is the King of glory! Selah

No comments: