Thursday, March 19, 2020

Verse of the Day 3/19

Verse of the Day 3/19

Psalm 42:5-6   Why are you cast down, O my soul,

    and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
    my salvation[a] and my God.

My soul is cast down within me;
    therefore I remember you
from the land of Jordan and of Hermon,
    from Mount Mizar.    English Standard Version (ESV)

Psalm 42 is probably better known for the opening verse which states, "As the deer pants for water, so I long for you, O God." The Living Bible. But reading through the whole psalm you realize that it is a prayer and a song to God that draws attention to what it means to long for God the same way that the deer needs water; every day.  They don't go a day without coming to the brook or pond.  In the same way, no matter what is going on we need to draw near day by day to the Lord. 

Today's verses start out by the admission that David is downcast, but He still comes to God.  He lays out his heart to Him while trusting, and putting his hope in Him, knowing that he will still praise God, which in itself is an act of praise, and worship.

Pastor Greg Laurie writes, "Many of the Psalms are songs and prayers. They are honest. And as we read some of them, we may think, "I dare not pray that." But go ahead and pray that. Go ahead and say, "Lord, I am hurting right now. . . . I'm in pain right now. . . . I don't understand this right now. . . . I'm struggling with this right now."...The next time you're feeling down, the next time you think, "I don't know how I'm going to get through this situation," quote the Bible to yourself. Remind yourself of the truth of God's Word. That is what it means to think biblically."

Greg Laurie's words reminded me of the Simon and Garfunkel song from years ago; "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes, I'll dry them all (all)
I'm on your side, oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you (ooo)
I'll take your part, oh, when darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

If you're feeling down, pour out your heart to the Lord, may He be that bridge for you, to comfort you today and settle your troubled heart.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 42 New King James Version (NKJV)

BOOK TWO

Psalms 42–72

Yearning for God in the Midst of Distresses

To the Chief Musician. A [a]Contemplation of the sons of Korah.

42 As the deer [b]pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When shall I come and [c]appear before God?
My tears have been my food day and night,
While they continually say to me,
"Where is your God?"

When I remember these things,
I pour out my soul within me.
For I used to go with the multitude;
I went with them to the house of God,
With the voice of joy and praise,
With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.

Why are you [d]cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him
[e]For the help of His countenance.

[f]O my God, my soul is cast down within me;
Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan,
And from the heights of Hermon,
From [g]the Hill Mizar.
Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls;
All Your waves and billows have gone over me.
The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime,
And in the night His song shall be with me—
A prayer to the God of my life.

I will say to God my Rock,
"Why have You forgotten me?
Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?"
10 As with a [h]breaking of my bones,
My enemies [i]reproach me,
While they say to me all day long,
"Where is your God?"

11 Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God;
For I shall yet praise Him,
The [j]help of my countenance and my God.

No comments: