Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Verse of the Day 3/4

Verse of the Day 3/4

3 John 3-4  For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.   New King James Version (NKJV)

We recently (in Colossians 1:12) our Christian walk and our desire to "walk worthy", pleasing Him in our actions as we act upon His Word.  Today's verses have an important reminder for us.  Before we walk in truth, we must know the truth, have it in us, take it to heart and apply it in our lives in how we "walk".

Charles Spurgeon writes:

The truth was in Gaius--and Gaius walked in a the truth. 

If the first had not been the case--the second could never have occurred.

If the second could not be said of him--the first would have been a mere pretense. 


Truth must enter into the soul, penetrate and saturate it--or else it is of no value. Doctrines held as a matter of mere creed--are like bread in the hand, which ministers no nourishment to the body. But doctrine accepted by the heart, is as food digested, which, by assimilation, sustains and builds up the body. 


Truth must be a living force in us, an active energy, an indwelling reality, a part of the warp and woof of our being. 

Consider, think about some of those statement above that God's Word, His Truth, must enter the soul and saturate it or it has no value.  I'm reminded of the WWJD bracelets that were popular several years ago.  It is good to consider what Jesus would do in situations in our lives, but in order to know what He would do we have to know His Word; it needs to be in us before it can lead us.


He leadeth me! O blessed thought,
O words with heav'nly comfort fraught;
Whate'er I do, where'er I be,
Still 'tis Christ's hand that leadeth me.
  He leadeth me! He leadeth me!
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
  For by His hand He leadeth me.


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

3 John New King James Version (NKJV)

Greeting to Gaius

The Elder,

To the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth:

Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in [a]truth.

No comments: