Friday, March 6, 2020

Verse of the Day 3/6

Verse of the Day 3/6

2 Timothy 1:13-14 Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 14 That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us.   New King James Version (NKJV)

Years ago, the rock group 38 Special had a hit song "Hold on Loosely", the key lines of the song went this way, "hold on loosely, but don't let go, if you cling too tightly you're gonna lose control". That recommendation may work well in a golf swing or other applications, but not as a rule of thumb for life.  They are catchy lines and a song that I liked to sing along with; but in the storms of life or when the "sea billows roll" we want to have a firm, secure grip on our faith, knowing that He will see us through.

We do so by holding onto the words of life that we find in the Bible, God's Word.  We may remember some of them best when put to music or simply memorizing scripture, but knowing them, memorizing them and applying them is how we hold onto those sound words of Jesus and the words of the Apostles as they were inspired by God.

  1. I know not why God's wondrous grace
    To me He hath made known,
    Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
    Redeemed me for His own.
  2. I know not how this saving faith
    To me He did impart,
    Nor how believing in His Word
    Wrought peace within my heart.

Refrain:
But "I know Whom I have believed,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I've committed
Unto Him against that day."

Being persuaded, is having the strength to hold onto what we have learned and believe in the power given to us by the Holy Spirit.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

2 Timothy 1:12-14 New King James Version (NKJV)

12 For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.

Be Loyal to the Faith

13 Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 14 That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us.

No comments: