Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Verse of the Day 4/28

Verse of the Day 4/28

15 My times are in your hands;
    deliver me from the hands of my enemies,
    from those who pursue me.

In yesterday's post from Isaiah 26 the prophet said that God would keep those who trust in Him "in perfect peace", this is to be at all times and in all circumstances, and that when we are tempted by be overwhelmed by our circumstances, with faith and trust we can say "God's got this".  This morning, today's verse came up in my devotional reading, it is another way of saying God's got this.  The Psalm was written by David who know what it was like to go through trials, to be pursued by enemies, and have to face giants.

The same God that created all their is has "my times", our circumstances in His hand.  The One who put the put together and sustains all of the intricacies of the universe has us where He wants us.

Pastor James Smith writes, "Let us consider, then, that everything that happens to us . . .

passes under our Father's eye;

  is overruled by our Savior's power;    is directed by the Holy Spirit to do us good.   It shall not be as our enemies wish, or as our hearts fear; but as our God and Father pleases, and has ordained.    Therefore do not be anxious, troubled, or cast down! The Lord God omnipotent reigns--and He is your Father and your God! He shall preserve you from all evil--He shall preserve your soul."

Three words in that statement stood out to me; "and has ordained".  He has spoken the universe into existence and will ordain the final outcome.  In realization of this, I think that David probably would have sung something like this old familiar hymn which those three words brought to mind.

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty,
  the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy
  health and salvation!
    All ye who hear,
Now to His temple draw near;
Sing now in glad adoration!
2
Praise to the Lord, who o'er all
  things so wondrously reigneth,
Who, as on wings of an eagle,
  uplifteth, sustaineth.
    Hast thou not seen
How thy desires all have been
Granted in what He ordaineth?
May His face shine upon you today (v.16 below)      --   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

14 But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord;
I say, "You are my God."
15 My times are in Your hand;
Deliver me from the hand of my enemies,
And from those who persecute me.
16 Make Your face shine upon Your servant;
Save me for Your mercies' sake.

No comments: