Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Verse of the Day 4/8

Verse of the Day 4/8

Psalm 5:1-2 Listen to my words, Lord;

consider my sighing.
Pay attention to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God,
for I pray to You.     Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

For most of us, these have been some of the most trying times of our times and we have no idea of how far or how long it will be to get to the other side of this crisis.  This COVID-19 crisis has brought illness, death, job loss and many other kinds of heart aches that none of us saw coming.

I don't know about you, but when I am stressed about things, I do a lot of sighing.  You take a deep breath in and then exhale with a sigh.  The length of the sigh often indicating the depth of the emotion behind it.  In today's verses from the HCSB, David asks God to consider his "sighing" which are a cry in themselves out to the Lord.

In his book "Whisper", pastor and author Mark Batterson writes, "Sighing is what we do when we don't know what to say. But according to the psalmist, it's more than a low frequency distress signal; it's a wordless prayer".   Boy, does that express how I feel in my heart. In verse 5 David writes, "consider my sighing".   Batterson continues, "Even in our most profound pain, God hears us.  He is so intimately tuned to us that He hears our wordless sighs.  Not only that, He intercedes for us with wordless groans (Romans 8:26).  We'd also hear those surround-sound songs of deliverance.  Just as His mercies are new every morning  (Lamentations 3:22-23), His loving intercessions never cease."

Read the psalm below.  Go ahead and sigh, but realize that as a God follower that very sigh can be offered as a prayer for deliverance, for peace and for hope.


"Great is Thy faithfulness," O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
  "Great is Thy faithfulness!" "Great is Thy faithfulness!"
  Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
    "Great is Thy faithfulness," Lord, unto me!
2
Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
3
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!



--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 5 English Standard Version (ESV)

Lead Me in Your Righteousness

To the choirmaster: for the flutes. A Psalm of David.

Give ear to my words, O Lord;
    consider my groaning.
Give attention to the sound of my cry,
    my King and my God,
    for to you do I pray.
O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
    in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you[a] and watch.

For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
    evil may not dwell with you.
The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;
    you hate all evildoers.
You destroy those who speak lies;
    the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.

But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
    will enter your house.
I will bow down toward your holy temple
    in the fear of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
    because of my enemies;
    make your way straight before me.

For there is no truth in their mouth;
    their inmost self is destruction;
their throat is an open grave;
    they flatter with their tongue.
10 Make them bear their guilt, O God;
    let them fall by their own counsels;
because of the abundance of their transgressions cast them out,
    for they have rebelled against you.

11 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
    let them ever sing for joy,
and spread your protection over them,
    that those who love your name may exult in you.
12 For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
    you cover him with favor as with a shield.

No comments: