Saturday, April 4, 2020

Verse of the Day 4/3

v

Verse of the Day 4/3

Joshua 1:9 I've commanded you to be strong and brave. Don't ever be afraid or discouraged! I am the Lord your God, and I will be there to help you wherever you go. Contemporary English Version (CEV)

Last night, while taking a walk in our neighborhood my wife and I saw a sign posted in a neighbors yard expressing thanks to all of the healthcare workers that are serving their communities in this time of crisis. Thinking about them, I'm amazed and thankful for their courage and bravery. Reading today's verse this morning quickly brought them to mind.

As Christians, we too are to be strong and be brave and not be discouraged by everything we see and hear of about what is going on in our country and the world. We should also be aware of what we can do to help others, to show similar bravery and courage to help those around us.

I had the following notes in my eBible for this passage. After a restless night I'm heading out to travel needing to "be strong and be brave". Then I read these verses and notes from JR Miller to the weary traveler. They were what I needed to hear today.
I hope that they will strengthen and encourage you for your day whether you are on "lock down" at home or out and about.

The habit of treasuring up a text of Scripture in the morning, to be meditated upon while engaged in the business of the world through the day--is both profitable and delightful. It is as a refreshing spring to a weary traveler!

Nothing is more helpful and practical in Christian living, than the habit of getting a verse of Scripture into the mind and heart in the morning. Its influence stays through the day, weaving itself into all the day's thoughts and words and experiences.

Every verse in the Bible is meant to help us to live--and a good devotional book opens up the precious teachings which are folded up in its words. J R Miller

Just when I need Him, Jesus is near,
Just when I falter, just when I fear;
Ready to help me, ready to cheer,
Just when I need Him most.
Refrain:
Just when I need Him most,
Just when I need Him most,
Jesus is near to comfort and cheer,
Just when I need Him most.

Just when I need Him, Jesus is true,
Never forsaking, all the way through;
Giving for burdens pleasures anew,
Just when I need Him most.

Just when I need Him, Jesus is strong,
Bearing my burdens all the day long;
For all my sorrow giving a song,
Just when I need Him most.

Just when I need Him, He is my all,
Answering when upon Him I call;
Tenderly watching lest I should fall,
Just when I need Him most.

Blessings,

Mike

Joshua 1:5-9 English Standard Version (ESV)

5 No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you. 6 Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. 7 Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success[a] wherever you go. 8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: