Thursday, April 9, 2020

Verse of the Day 4/9

Verse of the Day 4/9

John 14:5-6   "Lord," Thomas said, "we don't know where You're going. How can we know the way?"

Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.   Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Today is Maundy Thursday, traditionally, when Jesus celebrated the Passover meal with his disciples prior to his arrest, trial, crucifixion  which led to His resurrection on Sunday morning.  In John 13 Jesus had showed the disciples an example of servanthood and a having a servants heart by washing their feet.  Now, he is preparing them for what was coming, to put it mildly, trouble.

With all that is going on today in the world most, if not all of us, would have to admit that we don't know where things are going and we can perhaps identify with Thomas' statement more than ever.  But in that troubled night and in these troubled times Jesus is calling out to the disciples and to us, "do not let your hearts be troubled, believe in God, believe also in me" (John 14:1).

Jesus still knows there things are going and He knows the way through it.  He is the way, the truth and the life, still ,even in all of this.  Our call is to follow Him trusting that He will lead us through it.  Towards the end of the chapter Jesus reiterates the statement "do not let your hearts be troubled" but believe.  When we follow His advice He will leave us with His peace, He will give us His peace. (v.27).

As you prepare your hearts for Good Friday and Easter this Sunday, may you realize, may that He is the way , the truth and the life and to follow Him, He knows the way, all we have to do is follow.

I still remember the chorus that I learned as a child, it holds true today even in all of the uncertainties in life.

My Lord knows the way through the wilderness,
All I have to do is follow.
My Lord knows the way through the wilderness,
All I have to do is follow.

Strength for today is mine all the way,
And all that I need for tomorrow.
My Lord knows the way through the wilderness,
All I have to do is follow.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 14:1-7 English Standard Version (ESV)

I Am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life

14 "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God;[a] believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?[b] And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going."[c] Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also.[d] From now on you do know him and have seen him."

No comments: