Sunday, January 2, 2022

Verse of the Day 1/2

Verse of the Day 1/2

Philippians 3:13-14
New International Version




13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

As mentioned yesterday, most of us are happy to see 2021 in the rearview mirror.  We can't change the things that have happened but we don't relax and let life just come at us.  We press on, we have a goal and as we're reminded from Psalm 84:5, "Blessed is the man whose heart is set on pilgrimage".  It speaks to an attitude, living life with an eye beyond the horizon while not ignoring what is going on around us.

Notice that Paul doesn't say, "10 things I'll try", he says "one thing I do".  It requires focus, attention, planning and following though on those plans.  Part of that focus is prioritizing.  You've probably heard it said is "the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing".

A.W. Tozer writes, " press on. - If we feel that we are what we ought to be, then we will remain what we are. We will not look for any change or improvement in our lives. This will quite naturally lead us to judge everyone by what we are. This is the judgment of which we must be careful. To judge others by ourselves is to create havoc in the local assembly. "

Read the passage below.  Pray for God's guidance and wisdom to have the right priority this year.

When every day is just another struggle
And every choice is an act of war
Gotta pray, gotta press on
To the prize worth fighting for
When it feels like I`ll never make it
When my heart`s crying out for more
Gotta pray, gotta press on
To the prize worth fighting for

The battle rages on
But Your promise keeps me strong
I know I`ll win this race
With Your unfailing grace

Your love is my reward
Your love is my reward.  (Jamie Kimmet - "Prize Worth Fighting For)


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Philippians 3:7-14
New International Version

But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


No comments: