Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Verse of the Day 1/26

Verse of the Day 1/26

2 Kings 19:15,19. English Standard Version



15 And Hezekiah prayed before the Lord and said: "O Lord, the God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth......19 So now, O Lord our God, save us, please, from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you, O Lord, are God alone."

I don't know about you, but when I am watching a sporting event where my "home team" is not playing, I normally root for the underdog.  There is just something about the team that is not supposed to win overcoming the odds and pulling off a victory.
Today's passage is one of my favorites in the book of 2 Kings for this reason.  The nation had been under siege form King Sennacharib whose men had been taunting Hezekiah's forces.  They reasoned that Hezekiah's God would fail him just as the other gods of other kingdoms had failed to save them from his onslaught.  Did Hezekiah surrender?  No, he prayed to the Lord God who turned the tables on the Assyrians and their king and the angel of the Lord struck down 185,000 Assyrians in one night and Sennacharib turned tail and returned home where he himself was struck down by his own sons.
There are times in our lives when we may be facing what appear to be insurmountable odds.  What are we to do?  Don't surrender, call out to the Lord God.  Who knows, the angel armies may be ready to take a stand for you.

Chris Tomlin's song "Whom Shall I Fear" comes to mind.

You hear me when I call
You are my morning song
Though darkness fills the night
It cannot hide the light

Whom shall I fear

You crush the enemy
Underneath my feet
You are my sword and shield
Though troubles linger still

Whom shall I fear

I know who goes before me
I know who stands behind
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side

The one who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side

And nothing formed against me shall stand
You hold the whole world in Your hands
I'm holding on to Your promises

You are faithful
You are faithful

Read the passage below and if you have time, the rest of 2 Kings 19.


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

2 Kings 19:15-19
English Standard Version

15 And Hezekiah prayed before the Lord and said: "O Lord, the God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth. 16 Incline your ear, O Lord, and hear; open your eyes, O Lord, and see; and hear the words of Sennacherib, which he has sent to mock the living God. 17 Truly, O Lord, the kings of Assyria have laid waste the nations and their lands 18 and have cast their gods into the fire, for they were not gods, but the work of men's hands, wood and stone. Therefore they were destroyed. 19 So now, O Lord our God, save us, please, from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you, O Lord, are God alone."


No comments: