Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Verse of the Day 1/5

Verse of the Day 1/5

Matthew 5:8-9 New International Version



Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.

With the beginning of the year I, many Bible reading plans will bring you to the book of Matthew.  Today's verses come from Matthew 5, where I'm at in the plan I'm following.  I look forward to this "new beginning" every year because Matthew 5 -7 record Jesus' sermon on the mount, which the basis for the rest of His teaching and that of the Bible.  He begins chapter 5 with the beatitudes, the "blessed are" statements.  They stand in stark contrast to the way of the world then and now.

It starts with the being "blessed", which can be described as happy, fortunate and having a deep seated joy. It is not an emotion that is shown on the surface but it goes deep into our soul and part who we are in Christ.  To be pure is to be set apart, holy.  It involves having clean/proper motives, thoughts and conscience.  

The word for "peacemakers" comes from a verb meaning "to join together".  It points to working towards reconciliation rather than division and being excited and motivated to do so.

If we are to have these qualities and share them with others, it doesn't start with ourselves.  It starts with having a right relationship with Jesus.

The old hymn "Just As I Am" comes to mind and shows the attitude we need to have as our base.

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bid'st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

I had the following written in my Bible notes:

"In other words, there is no basis, no foundation for me to stand on in God's presence except that Jesus died in my place. I come to him on that basis alone, not on the basis of my worth or merit or good deeds or heritage or church affiliation or baptism. Christ alone is the ground of my acceptance with God." (source unknown)

Have you, or are you ready to come to Jesus. "just as I am"?  It is where receiving the blessings start.


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Matthew 5
New International Version

Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount

Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them.

The Beatitudes

He said:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.


No comments: